Pages

Friday, July 4, 2014

Cycling hills ... and really cold feet


Here are some things I have learned about cycling hills:
1. If you are forced to stop for traffic before proceeding up a steep gradient, you really need to clip into your pedals again before you reach the steep gradient.
2. It is possible to clip in on a steep gradient while a (strong) fellow cyclist pushes you once you stop A. panicking and B. pedalling.
3. You can’t imagine the level of pain from hand cramps from excessive downhill braking until you experience it.
4. Easing off the brakes (because you are forced to when your hands no longer work) isn’t as bad as you think.
Things I have learned about cold feet and cycling:
1. Fellow cyclists all have an opinion about cold feet while cycling.
2. People will recommend neoprene booties (Good idea Richard and Mark).
3. You had tried those, but ended up with wet feet. (Actually, not such a good idea Richard and Mark.)
4. People will recommend fewer socks so you don’t restrict circulation.
5. Those people are right. (Thanks Mark.)
6. People will recommend sites where people have thought these issues through before: Keeping Feet Warm.
7. People will recommend equipment that might help: Winter Boots and Footwarmer
8. People will warn you about chilblains (executive summary: let your feet warm up slowly or you’ll get “red itchy lumps that burn and you have to say ‘ooh, me chilblains’ and sound like you’re 80” … Thanks for the warning Gillian).
9. People will suggest soaking your socks in hot water before heading out. (Didn’t try that one yet Wendy…)
During one ride my feet got so cold after a couple of hours that they started aching. I stopped by my car and put the heater on them for a few minutes before the second half of my ride. I was dreading my next long ride and decided to try something different. So last weekend, on my 80km ride with a few hills, a bit of ice and lots of road grit thrown in, I used old-fashioned tramping socks. While my feet weren’t toasty warm, there was no pain so I’m chalking that up as a win.
Here’s the weather forecast for the final weekend before we head off. Sigh. Did I mention I should have started this cycling stuff in the summer?




2 comments:

  1. Ordered from Wiggle Thursday, hope they do the trick.

    $45.89 1 x dhb Extreme Weather Neoprene Overshoe Black Medium
    $40.28 1 x dhb Extreme Winter Glove Black Extra Large

    $0.00 Delivery

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now they look warm...would be interested to see how you get on!

    ReplyDelete